Thursday, August 2, 2012

Olympic Games 2012 & Social Media

I am an Olympic watching junkie. Once every two years (with the exception of the 2012 Winter games of course), I have watched the Olympic athletes do their stuff. I sometimes grumble about the coverage by the various networks and their announcers. However, this year has really reached a new low.

NBC's coverage really sucks. I know that they are broadcasting for the United States, but they are blocking my accessing live coverage from other networks, not just the ones in the US, but from Canada and Britain as well. They are even influencing the Mexican coverage this year.

Social media during these 2012 Summer games is at an all time high. I get tweets from friends, family, the athletes, the Olympics, faster and with more accuracy than from NBC. I google the event, and am blocked from watching the event until (and sometimes even after) NBC has broadcast it, usually 6 to 8 hours later. So that NBC can control when I watch their broadcast... during prime time... shhheeessshhH!!

I know that for a few years now that it has not been ALL about the athletes. I know that the corporate world pulls the strings at the Olympics in more ways than one... but hey... lets show NBC that we can get our Olympic "fix" without them ... use social media: twitter, Facebook, eblogger, myspace, and yes, even email to get the story out. We don't use IRC any more, but that doesn't mean we have to give up on getting the raw data. Tweet it, FB it, Myspace it up, and tell the world you love the Olympics, the events, the athletes, the wonder of the competition! YEAAAAA!

facebook social ambassadors
London Olympics

No comments: