Wednesday, March 2, 2016

My Learning Curve is Broken: Instagram

My Learning Curve is broken, at least for social media stuff. I'm trying to learn Instagram and I'm having trouble.

What do I mean? I mean its just not sinking in.

So, like most things, if I write it down, then I can sort through the learning process again... Sorry you have to be part of this, but what the heck, maybe you are over 60 and having social media challenges too?!!

so INSTAGRAM... what is it?

Is it like FaceBook? No, but they apparently own it.

Is it like Twitter? I don't think so, but you can post between your accounts (from Instagram to Twitter ~ and THAT's useful!)

Is it like PinInterest? not really, but sort of.

Its pictures. My pictures and pictures other people post.

Its sort of like PinInterest in that I can post pictures and follow other people's pictures.

But its sort of like FaceBook in that you follow people and they follow you. Its not like FaceBook because you don't have to be "accepted" as a friend to follow others and have them follow you.

Is it like Twitter, well sorry of (again). Its got "feeds" and the pictures can go "viral".

You can link up from Instagram to Twitter. Haven't figured out if you can link up to FaceBook yet.

PinInterest hookup? don't know that either.

So, this is as far as I got... this is where my Learning Curve got broken. What do you do when something is broken? You stop using it until it mends.

Yea, that doesn't work for a broken Learning Curve about the computer. That kind of "broken" doesn't just fix itself (its not a starfish after all). So, what to do? RESEARCH!!!

Research means plot out a plan, (remember, a Plan & a List), so:
Look up Instagram on its own "About" page
Look up Instagram on Wikipedia:
Find comments about Instagram on search engines
look up social media "help" on the web and AT THE LIBRARY
Report back ... ok, "engage":

First up is the web, then the library and the printed word: Yes, AT THE LIBRARY. Physically at the Library, touching books; but also in a search at the Library webpage.

While this looks like one of those discussions that differentiates between the "World Wide Web" and "internet". It is NOT. We at the end user stages don't really care what the difference between WWW and Internet is. We just simply use it. Do I have to understand it to use it? No. I might anyway, but that's besides the point for Instagram. This is NOT IRC, its not even a chat room. You go there if you want... I'm just trying to get my Learning Curve fixed.

After some Web research:

I found a few places where there is easy to use information. So far, this is one that I could follow without getting broken again. Its a little outdated, but covers the basics:
https://www.business2blogger.com/how-to-use-instagram/

This one is ok too, but its a bit cluttered and you have to copy and paste to get the links happening, so you might want to set up your own research grid anyway.
http://www.slideshare.net/Sosarina/instagram-101-how-to-use-instagram-for-business

This one is easy to follow and includes some reasons why you might want to use Instagram too.
http://inspiredworlds.com/21-tips-on-how-to-use-instagram-like-a-pro/

Wikipedia's article about Instagram is heavily focused on the history and content, as opposed to "how to". Therefore, it was not much help. It does give a good background, and their "controversy" is clearly noted. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instagram

After the Library, actually touching real books:

There are some books (of course!) "The Instagram Book" from 2014 http://www.bookdepository.com/Instagram-Book-Steve-Crist-Megan-Shoemaker/9781623260354?ref=grid-view

"Likable Social Media" from 2015 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10220557-likeable-social-media

"Snap and Share" from 2014 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/snap-and-share-adam-furgang/1120556384?ean=9781477779354


Conclusion

So, back to the basics again. Is my Broken Learning Curve fixed? Do I understand Instagram? Not all the in's and out's, no. But I understand enough to get an account going and start using it. I understand why I might want to use Instagram (easy access to pictures from me and about subjects I want to explore). Yup, its cool. Will it help my business? No idea: check back in a month or two.

Want to follow me on Instagram? Try this link: (remember I'm new to this, let me know if the link is broken) https://www.instagram.com/telly2222/






No comments: